Monday, September 16, 2013

Weekend Update & Pinterest Yummies!


This weekend was the first in which Corey was actually off all weekend, thanks to starting his new job tomorrow. No more Tower Climbing!! We decided to spend the weekend down in Yorktown visiting with his family, since we haven't had the chance in awhile.

Friday I attended the new Temple (Corey was home sick). I liked it but since it was Shabbat and Yom Kippur, it was hard to judge. They used a lot more Hebrew than I am used to but I did recognize a lot of the melodies from my days at Capital Camps and New England Hebrew Academy. Due to the closest Temple in Front Royal being over an hour away, Capital Camps and my years at the New England Hebrew Academy were my main Hebrew education. I am so Thankful that my mother sent me to both of these places, especially Capital Camps. For those not familiar, it is a Jewish overnight camp in Pennsylvania, kids from all over the county attend. From their website:
As a community agency our mission is to build Jewish identity using the most powerful tool – a quality immersive experience. While compared to some of the best private camps in the country, we like to think the motivating factor for choosing us is our impact and drive to ensure every child finds success. We approach working with your children differently than private camps – our mission is what drives us not profitability!
I consider myself reform, which among other things means I like to attend services in mostly English, although I really enjoy when the rabbi will read the Hebrew from the Torah and then tell us the many ways it can be interpreted (as our old Temple did). Each Hebrew Character can be interpreted so many different ways, all of which can change the meaning of an entire passage and I like being able to choose how I want to interpret them. I plan to attend the new Temple again this Friday and see how normal Shabbat services are. Just like there are Christians who only attend Church on Christmas and Easter, there are Jews that only attend services during the High Holidays and it can really change the entire feeling of services. None the less, I felt amazing after services and think I have finally reached that point in my life where observing in everyday life is not enough for me, I want to consistently attend services and be active in the community.

Saturday we headed down to Yorktown, we had a great time cooking and just spending time with his parents. Sunday Ed made his BBQ chicken while Corey and I handled the Roasted Red Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Lima Beans and I tried a new Pinterest recipe (that turned out amazing)!



Corey talking to "his" redskins




Corey's Corn recipe is so simple but amazing!
For the corn: We peeled off all but two layers of husks, then soak the corn in water for about 30 minutes. Corey then grills then for about 20 minutes. The char on the husks gives the corn an amazing flavor!

 
PB Cap'n Crunch Treats

The Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch treats were a Pinterest find and amazingly easy! They didn't even last the entire day so I guess everyone really did like them! I used full size M&Ms and put them on top instead of mixing them beforehand.





1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, and your explanation of high holidays versus regular Shabbat services is very well-written. Mom

    ReplyDelete