Monday, July 29, 2013

The Power of Prayer

As an interfaith couple Corey and I have spent many nights discussing our belief differences, similarities and even subjects we are unsure of.  For those of you that do not know, I am Jewish and Corey is Baptist.  Obviously there are a lot of similarities in the two religions, one of which is the power of prayer.

In the past, I was never a big fan of personal prayer.  I have always believed in thanking G.d for what I have, for saving my people and for the general good state of the earth.  But then during my experiences in my new Temple, Corey's Church and people offering to pray for us during certain events in our relationship, I opened up to the idea of personal prayer.  I was not sure if it is because I feel that it makes those who support us feel better or if I believe G.d is really listening, either way it was making a difference, things started to go our way.  My previous dislike of personal prayer was that I believed there are so many big things going on and I have so much to be thankful for.

Every curve ball life has thrown us during our relationship has made us stronger as a couple, because we always face them together, as a strong and absolutely full of love couple.  Of course, as we start to plan our 2nd wedding anniversary, life "had" to throw us another curve ball.  All I can think to do is to ask those around us to pray for us.  This time around I think it is because it makes me feel better and maybe, if I have done enough good with my life, G.d will answer.  I can only hope pray.

One of the many things I love about my religion, belief and heritage is there is not a list of ABC that I must believe in, but an openness to my own interpretation.  Obviously this changes with your Temple and whether you are Orthodox, Reform or Conservation (I consider myself Reform).  At my temple, the Rabbi will read a passage in Hebrew, Translate it and then tell us what he thinks it means, but he also invites us to interpret with thought-provoking questions.  I absolutely love this and wish I could attend services more often.  I took a Biblical Hebrew course in college and truly discovered how many different ways each word could be translated, some of which can completely change an entire sentence & passage's meaning.  I don't think this is confined to just the Old Testament, but that is what we were translating and what I know.

Do you believe in the power of prayer?  When you tell someone you will pray for them, do you really?

As we struggle with another curve ball, all I can do is ask you keep us in your prayers.  Because I do believe that G.d is listening, whether he can change this or not.

P.S  NOT trying to start a religious argument, I am very open and supportive of different religions but I will never convert from Judaism and Corey will never convert from Christianity.  Neither of us want the other one to and it is just one of the many amazing difference that make us work so well together.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know what the "curve ball" is but please know that I will be praying for you guys. It is a privilege to pray for you. I strongly believe He hears and answers. When I say I will pray I really will. Love you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ms. Terry that means a lot!

    ReplyDelete